Aug 6, 2005

Elvis Costello : Watching the Detectives

When I like a really like a song, I want to like the artists entire catalog of work. Unfortunately, that is not the case with Elvis Costello. Everything from My Aim is True and This Year's Model is stellar, but his latter day material is harder for me to appreciate. Needless to say, this song makes up for it in my book because it is so good. The simple arrangement, especially the drum and keyboard work, make the song memorable. Costello delivers the lyrics in a biting manner, my favorite of which is "It only took my little fingers to blow you away". Maybe it's my love for ska/reagee beats that makes me like this song so much. But, if Costello can make a song like this that I love so much, I will continue to investigate his later material because I am sure there is something there I will like too.

No comments: