Jul 30, 2005

TV On the Radio :: Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes

I remember my first radio. My grandparents bought it for me. It had one speaker and a bright pink "Record" button the top. The microphone was a really cool feature, and I used that to record myself and others. Sometimes I would try to make a tape from the radio by taping songs. And some channels near the 88.1 end always confused me. They were always talking and had loud commercials. They were actually TV programs being broadcast on the FM dial. Often I heard soap operas, so I never really listened. I still wonder what the point of that was. Anyway, I immediately thought of that when I heard about this band. And in some ways it does sound like the dial is caught between a few different stations at once, picking up post-punk/art-rock guitar lines, vintage drum machines, and doo-wop vocals mixed together. But it works. I really love the song "Staring at the Sun." I think that the sounds created here are a lot different than what is typically in my record collection. Being unexpected can be very good at times.

No comments: