Aug 15, 2005

The White Stripes :: Get Behind Me Satan

I remember reading an interview a while ago where Jack said something like "I am going to concentrate on the guitar and forget the harmonica". What happened Jack? After the garage-blues-rock monster Elephant, it seems like the Stripes could have made another record of primarily guitar/drums songs and completly demolished the competion via another "Seven Nation Army"-style romp. Instead, the Stripes take a left hand turn, and I am very glad for it. The album covers a lot of material stylistically and instrumentally, but retains the themes of sin and betrayal. I immediately loved "My Doorbell" for its simplicity and Jack's weird way of slurring the word "I'vebeenthinkin'bout my doorbell / When ya gonna ring it? / When ya gonna ring it?" The piano definitely works for me, and Jack's vocal styling gets highlighted more than ever. I think the record is engaging and although initially confusing in the amount of ground covered, rewards the listener with anther solid album by the Stripes.

No comments: